Science and Ethics
Science may be value-free, but the application of science is not. That is why the Education Network South Holland organises debates for students and scientists from the field.
Leiden Science and Debate Day
- Date & venue 19 April 10am-4pm / debate rounds: 10.30am – 3.15pm
- Hogeschool Leiden Zernikedreef 11
- Target group Upper secondary school pupils from the Leiden region
- Topic: modifying human DNA
This Leiden Science and Debate Day is part of the educational innovation project Debate and Science in the Classroom 2022-2024. The pupils have already attended 1 or 2 debate workshops on human DNA adaptations prior to this day.
If you / your company think you can contribute to the success of this day in another way (e.g. through interesting cases in the teaching material), please send an e-mail to the ICLON institute at Leiden University.
Enthusiastic young researchers who would like to work as experts for 1-2 hours in the morning or afternoon of 19 April and visit a number of debate groups to answer questions and discuss a ‘wild card’ with students. This wild card or knowledge card is prepared by the organisation in advance and gives the expert a practical tool to enter into discussion with pupils and helps pupils broaden the discussion.
More info via links:
- Leidse Wetenschap en Debatdag | Onderwijsnetwerk Zuid Holland
- Content questions: Leonie Kaptein DNA in Beeld
- Debate technical questions: Alexander Schinkel DebatUnie
Send an e-mail to Jorim Visser (ONZ)
The OVBSP believes that enthusing young people for science is important; these are their employees of the future. That is why the OVBSP itself organises several events such as the Life Science Cafes, Tech Talks and CEO breakfasts and lunches.